Managers are asked to fulfill numerous duties in order to keep an organization well balanced and working efficiently. Whether they’re overseeing specific projects, meeting with employees or assisting hands-on with daily functions, a manager’s role is to make sound business decisions that keep the company ahead of the competition.
The following list recognizes some of the top websites and blogs in multiple categories including Management, Human Resources, Operations Management, Strategic Management, Marketing, Finance, and IT Management.
There were many factors that went into the selection of these sites including web presence, number of visitors, content quality and peer recommendations. Each site offers a unique perspective on the subject of management and leadership in a business setting. In order to navigate to each management category, click on the section you wish to go to at the top of the page. Please note: websites are not listed in order of rank.
Human Resource Management
Human Resource Management, HRM or simply HR, is the management of an organization’s workforce, or human resources. HR typically serves as the company’s primary liaison, doing tasks such as payroll, ensuring compliance with labor laws, organizing employee benefits and much more. Below you will find various blogs and sites that provide insight into the world of HR.
The HR Capitalist provides posts and reviews on a mixture of the HR practice, technology, and business results in today’s organizations.
Compensation Force shares practical news, information, tips, and musings about employee performance and compensation.
- Must-Read Post: Performance Management: An Innovation Imperative
Fistful of Talent has become the equivalent of digital classifieds by putting up help wanted ads and having readers posts concerns and start discussions.
- Must-Read Post: Management Training When You’re Not Doing Management Training
4. Know HR
Know HR provides organizational communication and custom software to some of the leading companies in the world and this is their blog where they can communicate their knowledge of human resources.
- Must-Read Post: A Skosh Better Than Yesterday
Gruntled Employees provides helpful tips and solutions to make a happier and easier workplace for employees.
- Must-Read Post: How to get people to do what you want (in six minutes)
6. Evil HR Lady
Evil HR Lady is a blog dedicated on providing the truth about human resources departments and sharing details on exactly what happens behind the scenes.
- Must-Read Post: Survey sheds new light on male bosses and trust
Mister HR’s Blog offers various and random human resources related information.
- Must-Read Post: How to Communicate Salary Structure Changes
8. HR Bartender
HR Bartender is a friendly place to discuss work related issues and concerns.
- Must-Read Post: Employment Branding Matters More Than Ever [case study]
Dr. Shailesh Thaker’s blog offers insight and information on management, human resources, and corporate coaching.
- Must-Read Post: 3 Great Leadership Lessons From Sally Ride
10. HRM Business
HRM Business share street smart human resource management and business practices.
- Must-Read Post: Common Problems in HRM
11. True Faith HR
True Faith HR shares random and various posts on human resources theories and practices.
- Must-Read Post: Recruiting 101: Sorority Rush
I am Jason Seiden is Jason Seiden’s professional blog which offers information, advice, and posts about marketing and management.
- Must-Read Post: Preparing for the Social Revolution
13. Ask a Manager
Blogger Allison Green started blogging in May of 2007, and she helps readers answer tough questions about work and management.
- Must-Read Post: What to do When you Make a Mistake at Work
Blogger Lance Haun’s background includes 7 years of HR and 5 years of blogging and social media primarily in the recruiting space. Here, he blogs about issues facing HR and social media.
- Must-Read Post: Using Twitter For Customer Support Is A Waste Of Time And Money
Started in March, 2008 by Shauna Moerke, discusses human resource issues from a minion’s point of view.
- Must-Read Post: The Good and the Bad of SHRM 2012
Operations management is an area of management that deals with overseeing, coordination, and controlling the processes of production in regards to business operations. Strategizing and creating tactics is also a major part of this job. Listed below are several blogs and sites that offer more information about operations and project management.
Stepping Into Project Management traces the journey of a project manager.
- Must-Read Post: The Spark of Success – Do you feel it every day?
Guerilla Project Management is a blog where you’ll find conversations about the mindset that project managers need to adopt to be able to effectively manage today’s complex projects.
- Must-Read Post: Why We “Choke” Under Pressure and How to Avoid it
Fear No Project is a project management blog that shares thoughts and experiences on issues affecting project manager and the world of project management.
- Must-Read Post: Project Methods- Waterfall versus Agile
Project Management Student offers various resources for new and aspiring project managers to help reach their career goals.
- Must-Read Post: Job Interview Tips – When You Lack Experience
20. Portals and KM
Portals and KM is a blog that shares ideas and discussions on new trends and technologies in business.
- Must-Read Post: OpDeman Simplifies Cloud Management
Quantmleap shares random and various thoughts about project management and other important things in business.
- Must-Read Post: A Point About Earned Value – Management – System
22. Herding Cats
Herding Cats shares ideas, practices, and resources about increasing the probability of project success from someone who has had success in the field.
- Must-Read Post: Rings of Success
23. Eight to Late
Eight to Late are the musings on managing people, projects, and processes.
- Must-Read Post: The illusion of enterprise risk management – a paper review
A Path To Peace is a site created by Margaret Meloni, who is an author, business owner, and professional coach.
- Must-Read Post: Returning to Work: The Agony and the Ecstasy
The Critical Path offers free project management information, advice, and templates.
- Must-Read Post: Operating Outside Your Comfort Zone
26. Leading Answers
Leading Answers offers leadership and project management ideas, observations, and links.
- Must-Read Post: Collaborative Games for Risk Management – Part 2
Bertrand Duperrins’ Notepad provides various and random posts about the field of management, information, and communication technologies.
- Must-Read Post: Too Little engagement or the failure of manipulation?
28. Manager Tools
Manager Tools is a blog all about providing resources and tools for managers and other information regarding the field of management.
- Must-Read Post: Competition
Ron Rosenhead’s site offers information on several topics in business and management such as project management, strategy, training, risk management, and much more.
- Must-Read Post: The new project team member – 3 views
The Enlightened Manager Blog is the blog of Cheri Baker with Emergence Consulting and she helps employers develop, motivate, and retain a high performance workforce.
- Must-Read Post: Change vs. Staying True to Yourself
Noop.NL has various sections that offer more information regarding public speaking and management.
- Must-Read Post: Improved MLA Style Guide: Delighting the Reader
The Project Management Hut provides articles and information on training and job hunting for people in the field of project management.
Project manager and blogger, Elizabeth, started A Girl’s Guide To Project Management to provide a female perspective on project management that she felt was lacking.
- Must-Read Post: Success criteria: how do you define success?
34. Crossderry Blog
Paul Ritchie is the author of Crossderry blog. The blog focuses on strategy, global business transformation, and technology management.
- Must-Read Post: More kudos for Pro.NET Best Practices
Strategic management is a level of managerial activity that provides overall direction of the company and organization. Evaluating and controlling the business’s goals and strategies is one of the major responsibilities in this type of position. Below are various sites and blogs that share a bit more information on what strategic management and leadership entails.
Alexandra Levit’s blog offers up-to-the-minute career advice.
- Must-Read Post: Do I Need “Reverse Mentoring?”
CEO Blog – Time Leadership shares the author’s philosophies on leadership and time management.
- Must-Read Post: How to Meet Your Daily Goals
37. A Month of Italy
A Month of Italy is a blog kept by author Chris Brady who has written many books on leadership and management, and blogs about his ideologies.
- Must-Read Post: One Company Incentivizes the “Art of Vacation”
Coaching Tip: The Leadership Blog provides the latest news and most effective tips in leadership.
- Must-Read Post: Why do most businesses avoid surprised at all costs?
39. Great Leadership
Great Leadership offers tips and advice on leadership, public speaking, and consulting.
- Must-Read Post: 25 Great Leadership Development Quotes
40. Tyner Blain
Tyner Blain is the personal blog of Tyner Blain who has expertise in software management and processes.
- Must-Read Post: Why Do Products Fail – Solving the Wrong Problems Part 1
41. Create Learning
Create Learning is a blog all about team building.
42. Project Smart
Project Smart is a site that explores trends and developments in project management.
The Recovering Leader shares advice and principles on leadership lessons for people in the business world.
- Must-Read Post: How to Eliminate “Update Meetings” And Be Glad You Did
Cathexis is a blog that offers posts and discussions on marketing and technology.
- Must-Read Post: Social Business for Executives
Orrin Woodward is the winner of the 2011 IAB Top Leader Award, and on his blog he shares his leadership secrets.
- Must-Read Post: Conquer, Fortify, Domesticate
All Things Workplace is Steve Roesler’s blog about management and leadership in the workplace.
- Must-Read Post: What Makes a “Real” Leader Today?
47. Management Craft
Management Craft offers posts and discussions about management and leadership.
- Must-Read Post: Five Awesome Things At Work
Better Managers Blog shares advice and information for managers who are looking to enhance their management and leadership skills.
- Must-Read Post: Employee Pains Add Up to Big Losses
Rich’s Management Blog shares strategies and tactics on leadership, management, and how to help others succeed.
- Must-Read Post: A new era in account management
Creative Execs Blog offers and shares different perspectives in creative management.
- Must-Read Post: Add a Creative Flair to Your Company’s RFP Responses
Lauren Bloom is a business ethics speaker and consultant and on her blog she shares her thoughts on business ethics.
- Must-Read Post: Penn State lost its ethics when it put football first
Joe and Wanda on Management is a blog narrated by two characters from Nick McCormick’s book, “Lead Well and Prosper,” where they share their management wisdom.
- Must-Read Post: Time Management Solution
Wally Bock’s Leadership Blog offers insight, information, and resources to help people work harder and live better lives.
- Must-Read Post: Boss’s Tip of the Day: Do they know how?
Ed Batista’s blog provides various resources on executive coaching and change management.
- Must-Read Post: Management as a Liberal Art at Stanford
Execupundit.com provides commentary by Michael Wade on leadership, ethics, and management.
- Must-Read Post: Miscellaneous and Fast
BrandUNIQ is a marketing blog that offers various resources and posts on marketing.
- Must-Read Post: 3 Reasons To Make Changes To Your Distribution Channel
Joe Gerstandt, the value of difference is a site that offers resources and advice on helping organizations understand diversity and inclusion.
- Must-Read Post: Struggle = Progress
Blog: Strategic Planning shares various resources and helpful insight into the world of strategic planning.
- Must-Read Post: What is Strategic Planning?
59. LBL Strategies
LBL Strategies provide information on corporate leadership, skills development, and strategic management tools.
- Must-Read Post: Strategic Leaders Manage Assumptions
Successful and Outstanding Blog provides helpful tips on leadership and how to build goals for yourself.
- Must-Read Post: Talk About Your Goals: Goal Setting Success
Jennifer Britton is a Professional Certified Coach and trainer who works with clients on business success, leadership, work-life balance, and teamwork issues.
- Must-Read Post: Facilitating Effective Virtual Meetings
Organizations and Markets was created in 2006 by Nicolai J. Foss and Peter G. Klein, professors interested in organizational economics, strategic management, entrepreneurship, innovation, and the economics of institutions.
- Must-Read Post: What is a firm?
Marketing Management is focused on the application of marketing techniques and the management of an organizations or company’s marketing resources and activities. Marketing Managers are responsible for creating effective, cost-efficient marketing management objectives and strategies. Below are notable websites that provide more information on marketing management.
The Lonely Marketer is a blog full of posts and discussions for the small business marketing manager.
- Must-Read Post: Beginner’s Guide to Video Marketing
Detective Marketing is the blog of one of Europe’s most creative business thinkers and top ranked speakers, Stefan Engeseth.
- Must-Read Post: Fool.com: Why is defence not valued in business?
65. Ries’ Pieces
Ries’ Pieces is a blog about the business of branding.
- Must-Read Post: The Fro-Yo Wars Explained
The Engaging Brand is a blog with content more specific to social marketing and how it can affect your business.
- Must-Read Post: 5 Trends Driving Social Business
Marketing Experiments Blog provides news, insights, analysis and interviews and ideas with the community of marketing, optimization, and sales professionals.
68. Marketing Profs
Marketing Profs offers useful information and resources on marketing.
- Must-Read Post: How to Fight Fog and Overcome Clarity Deficit Disorder
Scott Hendisons’ Blog offers reviews and various posts on new technologies and business.
- Must-Read Post: Android Bug – Edit Google+ Places Reviews by Others
70. Beanstalk Inc.
Beanstalk Inc. is a site that offers posts on search engine optimization services and information.
- Must-Read Post: Skynet Police – The Infringement Wars
MarketingSherpa is a research firm specializing in tracking what works in all aspects of marketing and their blog exists to give marketers of the world the stats, inspiration, and instructions to improve their results.
- Must-Read Post: Gaining Business Leader Buy-in: 7 CEO personas
Sales and Sales Management Blog provides tips and tactics on sales and sales management.
- Must-Read Post: Sorry, Buddy, But Your Best Just Isn’t Good Enough
The Experience is the Product is Cindy Alvarez’s blog, who is a product manager and shares how understanding the customer becomes a business’s competitive advantage.
- Must-Read Post: Are You Asking People to Ignore You?
Marketing91.com provides marketing tutorials, discussions, articles and other resources for people to utilize in the marketing world.
- Must-Read Post: What is Market Research?
How To Be A Good Project Manager shares tips on product management, product development, and product marketing.
- Must-Read Post: Get the right level of product investment
Product Marketing by Pragmatic Marketing offers thoughts and ideas on product management and product marketing.
- Must-Read Post: Who Covers What Bases?
Event Manager Blog is a blog that shares various and random tips and posts for event managers.
- Must-Read Post: How to Run the Perfect Meetup
78. Brand DNA
Brand DNA is a blog about the weird and wonderful world of brands and communication.
- Must-Read Post: Burgerlympics
Branding Strategy Insider is the blog of The Blake Project, which as brand consultants, they strive to help marketing oriented leaders and professionals build strong brands.
- Must-Read Post: Brand Marketing In A Recession
Measuring Success is the official blog for the book Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics by Brian Clifton.
- Must-Read Post: Why Web Analytics Users Are Falling Behind The Industry
Amplify Interactive is the search and social blog from Amplify Interactive.
- Must-Read Post: Social Guide to the London 2012 Olympic Games
With 20 years of business experience, Valeria Maltoni is Principal, Conversation Agent, LLC, helps companies focus their promise and create a platform that delivers resilience and longevity to the business.
- Must-Read Post: Six Areas of Opportunity to Connect with Customers
Rimm-Kaufman Group provides complete data-driven online marketing solutions to online businesses.
- Must-Read Post: SEO Services
Financial Management is a branch of finance that concerns itself with the managerial significance of finance. Most financial mangers deal with monetary decisions that companies or organizations make and the tools and analysis used to make these decisions. Below are multiple sites and blogs that share more insight on the world of financial management.
84. Tanveer Naseer
Tanveer Naseer is a personal blog providing motivation and business coaching and advice.
- Must-Read Post: Getting and Giving Feedback That Encourages Change
85. PT Money
PT Money is a blog that offers tips and advice on how to make, save, and spend money.
- Must-Read Post: E-Publishing: A New and Lucrative Way to Publish Your Own Book
Budgets are $exy is a personal finance blog that offers various tips and advice on budgeting your finances.
- Must-Read Post: ”I Have Over 15 Credit Cards and $30,000+ Debt” – Help!
Compensation Café is serving up straight talk, original thinking, and discussions on everything related to compensation.
- Must-Read Post: Even When it’s About the Money…it’s Not About the Money!
88. Start Up Nation
Start Up Nation offers tips and information for people who are wanting to start up their own business.
- Must-Read Post: How to Hire and Manage a Remote Startup Team
89. Bruce’s Blog
Bruce is a financial advisor, and this is his blog where he offers financial advice and other various posts regarding finance and business.
- Must-Read Post: What is the Stock Market?
QFinance shares various financial resources and posts about news and trends in business.
CFO-Coach.com offers advice and information on career coaching, executive branding, executive resumes and more!
- Must-Read Post: CFOs and CMOs Trump CIOs
92. CFO World
CFO World is a blog all about business, finance, and leadership.
- Must-Read Post: When strategies come unstuck
IT Management or Information Technology Management, is a business discipline where all the technologies and technology resources of a company or organization are managed. Technology plays a huge role in the organization of a business, so IT Management is vital and significant to the success of a company. Listed below are multiple sites and blogs related to IT Management.
93. Another DAM blog
Another DAM blog offers information and posts on digital asset management.
- Must-Read Post: Have you audited your digital assets lately?
All Things Distributed is Werner Vogel’s blog on building scalable and robust distributed systems.
- Must-Read Post: Back-to-Basics Weekend Reading – Virtualizing Operating Systems
BradEgeland.com is the personal blog of Brad Egeland where he provides his advice and services for project management and solutions, cloud computing, strategic planning, social media presence, and much more.
- Must-Read Post: The Comindware HR Solution
96. The CTO’s Blog
The CTO’s Blog provides technology predictions, commentary on the current state of various technologies, and how technology predictions are made.
Weston CTO’s Blog shares posts and information on technology issues from a distributor’s perspective.
- Must-Read Post: Clouding the Real Value of IT
CTO/ICO Perspectives offer practical tips on information technology management.
- Must-Read Post: More timeless, still-relevant information technology jokes
From the office of the CTO, this blog shares thoughts on technology, research, innovation, and current trends.
- Must-Read Post: InTouch 2012: Power of the Portfolio
100. Your CTO’s Blog
Managed by a CTO, Your CTO’s Blog covers a wide range of technology and project management related topics.
- Must-Read Post: Bring Your Own Cloud to Work
As you can see from this list, there are a plethora of fantastic resources on the web for managers. So many, in fact, that we simply couldn’t capture them all in a list of only 100. The following sites deserve specific mention for their quality content and value they offer readers.
Kathy Caprino blogs for Forbes about the full range of career issues. Caprino’s posts frequently feature advice on how to get ahead, or at least get a fresh perspective on your career.
- Must-Read Post: 5 Questions to Answer Before you make Any Career Changes
102. Reputation Rhino
Reputation Rhino is all about image management. The company’s blog features advice on how to leverage the press, social media, and every other communication channel to make sure your company’s best side always gets the most attention.
- Must-Read Post: How to Avoid the 6 Biggest Media Mistakes Most Companies Make
About the Author – PhD in Management.org
At PhD in Management.org, we cover a variety of topics about the management field, specifically focusing on PhD degree programs. Some of these topics include salary and job advancement opportunities for PhD degree holders, types of programs and financial aid options available, and online institutions offering accredited degrees in the field. Read more…