Business Development Representative
Since our start in 2015, we’ve gone from a group of individuals to a community pushing toward the same goal of building a fantastic company with great people, great products, and, most importantly, a great culture. To date, we have grown from a handful of school districts in Arkansas to thousands of school districts across the U.S.
We are building products to empower school leaders to run better schools. We have the opportunity to help schools as they go through a radical shift in how they operate and to provide great technology to make that transition.
We are growing quickly and are focused on bringing thoughtful, high-performers together to craft an experience for our clients and to make Apptegy a better place than it already is.
We’ve written the description below to be helpful to you. After reading it, you should be able to decide for yourself if this is something you should pursue or not.
The best way to get a first interview is to write thoughtful answers that will make us want to learn more about you. You should put in the same effort that you bring to your work each and every day. We read each application, resume, and cover letter. Nothing is automated and there is no machine or robot.
As a Sales Development Representative (SDR)…
You will directly influence company growth by calling potential clients, creating intriguing conversations about us, and by booking demos for the Sales Rep team.
-Calling school administrators and leaders
-Sending customized and human emails
-Recording videos that grab attention
What else should I know about the role?
Our Sales Development Team continues to grow and we are looking for high performers to join us in getting the attention of school leaders across the United States.
We like to highlight that many SDRs did not have Sales experience before working at Apptegy (but they’re really good at it now!). Even if you have never been in a sales role, we would still very much like to talk with you if you’re up to the challenge.
You will be a key part of helping Apptegy grow. The Sales Development position is what has put Apptegy on the map. There are more than 2,000 school districts across the United States that use Apptegy and Thrillshare because a Sales Development Rep (SDR) called them, caught their attention, and set up a time for them to learn more on a demo.
Your goal is to thoughtfully connect with school administrators and school leaders through phone calls. You will spend most of your day on the phone talking to secretaries, assistants, superintendents, and others. Within a few minutes of conversation, you will turn the conversation into a scheduled video demo with a Sales Rep. You will also send follow-up emails to coordinate with sales reps and superintendents.
In addition to calls, the Sales Development team does whatever it takes to open doors to school leaders through creative custom videos, emails, and more.
What is expected of a Sales Development Rep at Apptegy?
1. Create interest and intrigue with outbound calls: The core part of your role will be to reach out to school administrators, leaders, and superintendents by phone. You should be able to have an engaging conversation with anyone when needed.
2. Transfer confidence: While you are not selling the product on your calls, you are selling the value of a demo with a Sales Rep. To do that, you must be confident in your interactions in a way that tells the other person the demo will be a good use of their time and that this is a product that we know without a doubt will provide value to them. That includes a willingness to kindly push back and address objections.
3. Be Coachable: Our approach to sales is both common and exceptionally rare. Many of the activities we do are practiced in sales teams everywhere, but the expectations we have and the way that we approach even a short conversation are unique. To be successful as an SDR, you must be able to listen to feedback, own that feedback, and then take action to implement feedback.
4. Have resilience and grit: Next to coachability, the most important attribute in this role is an ability to persist. You must be relentless and be able to draw from past experiences when you overcame a challenge or obstacle in your way. Sales involves daily rejection and must be capable of pushing through it.
5. Desire to work hard and to grow: This is a role that will challenge you and help you grow. To be successful you must have high expectations for yourself and be willing to put in the time, the effort, and the sweat to meet those expectations.
What is true of you?
Note: Most of our SDRs did not have Sales experience before working at Apptegy. Even if you have never been in a sales role, we would still very much like to talk with you.
An aptitude for challenge & a track record of success:
-You have completed a four-year college degree or have comparable, continuous work experience.
-You enjoy a fast-paced environment.
An ability to manage your day and be effective & efficient:
-You have managed your own workflow and schedule.
-You do not need someone to guide your day or tell you what to do next.
Remarkable communication and presentation skills:
-You enjoy and have experience presenting or communicating in a professional or academic environment.
-You love talking to strangers and getting people to open up or people naturally open up to you.
-You know how to write effective emails and engage professionally across all channels (phone, video, written).
What else should I know?
We take our responsibility as a company seriously and aim to make this the best job that you’ve had (and one that sets you up for future success).
We want your day at work and your time at home to be a joyful experience that’s why we provide:
– Medical, dental, vision insurance for you and dependents
– Matching 401(k) retirement plan
– Discretionary/flexible paid time off policy
– Parental leaveDependent Care FSA
– Annual Travel Stipend
If the challenge of building a rapidly growing startup excites you as much as it does us, we hope that you’ll consider joining us.
"*" indicates required fields