Senior Full-stack Software Engineer
Life is short – do something that matters! Our mission is to accelerate and democratize the world’s research because scientific discovery is based on it, and scientific discovery benefits everyone.
We are searching for a Senior Full Stack Engineer (Remote First).
Who we are
We are a Remote First company with an office in San Francisco, building the world’s largest network for sharing and finding academic research online. We recently closed a $23M Series “D” round.
With over 180M free registered users and nearly half of the world’s academics using our platform every month, we are in a unique position to disrupt the $25B academic publishing industry. Our users range from researchers, academics, industry professionals and college students, with over 300,000 paying premium subscribers. – contributing to a doubling in revenue over the last three years.
What we’re looking for
Our ideal candidates are not only great at what they do, but are also mission-driven. Ideally, you have experience working across the stack and are excited about owning product and engineering initiatives. Bonus points for experience scaling an application to handle an increasing user base.
– Good coding habits are a must.
– Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to build solutions and products.
– Ability and willingness to learn new languages and technologies as needed.
– 5+yrs. of experience working on large-scale web apps or platforms in a Unix/Linux environment, post-degree is preferred.
– Proficiency with either Ruby, Python, or another scripting language is preferred but not required.
– Understanding, creating, manipulating, and querying databases.
– Rest API/back-end coding in a scripting language.
– Ruby on Rails, Sidekiq
– PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch
– React + Typescript
– RSpec, Chromatic, Jest, Storybook
– CircleCI, Jenkins, Ansible, Terraform
– AWS ecosystem (EC2, S3, RDS, Redshift, many others)
– You don’t need to know any or all of these, but must be willing to learn!
What you’ll work on
You’ll be designing and building systems to make our user base more productive on our platform. Here are some things that we are currently working on:
– A fast and scalable peer review system that identifies and distributes high-quality academic works
– Services that help academic authors understand the impact of their scholarship via text parsing and computation of bibliometrics
– Algorithmic approaches to identification of academic content and disambiguation of authorships in order to make every paper ever written available for free
– A paper recommendation engine that helps users discover the most relevant research
– Search Engine Optimizations to improve the discoverability of our corpus of 33M+ PDFs
What impact will you have?
Researchers from all over the world give us fantastic feedback:
– “I go through all the articles in the bulk download, save the ones that are clearly going to be useful and discard the remainder. This saves loads of time but also points me in directions I might not otherwise have thought of looking.”
– “The bulk downloads give me the chance to read more related articles as well as seeing what research is citing the article I am looking at. It also helps me rapidly expand my personal digital library of references.”
What you’ll get?
– In addition to working closely with and collaborating with our talented tight-knit team, we value fostering employee growth.
– Our ~90-person team, which includes ~40 Software Engineers, all value curiosity, initiative, teamwork, and we are passionate about building great products.
– We have an employee-focused benefits program that includes
– 100% employer-paid top-notch health, dental, and vision insurance, a generous time-off policy (21 paid vacation days, 11 paid company holidays, and unrestricted sick days), annual professional development allowance, and a book stipend.
– And stock options.
In addition, for those who prefer to work at our office, we have a physical office which many work at, and which is located near MUNI & BART in beautiful downtown San Francisco. The office is stocked with snacks, drinks, and oftentimes catered lunches.
Diversity and Inclusion
Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Location-independent pay in the United States. Range: $164,000 – $238,000
"*" indicates required fields